Although 2013 had a lot of design highlights, it's time to play favorites. Starting with the heart of the home, here are the seven kitchens we loved over the last 12 months. From an unbelievable reno to a perfectly styled celebrity space, these rooms hold the recipe to success. Click through to see the best kitchens of 2013 and how they can inspire you heading into the new year!
Between the gorgeous rooms and amazing products, Pinterest is already a design lover's go-to! If you follow a few top designers, the inspiration is literally endless. That's exactly how we feel following designers like Emily Henderson and Kelly Wearstler each and every time we log into Pinterest. It wasn't easy, but we narrowed down our favorites into a must-follow list for anyone passionate about home and design. Click through to follow our top 10 designers and learn exactly why we repin them so much!
You guessed it, we're on Pinterest, too! Follow us POPSUGAR Home for your daily dose of home decor news, decorating advice, and more!
When we caught wind that Domaine Home recruited Jessica Biel to decorate her version of a holiday dream room, we were all ears. After all, she does live with a famous design hound (ahem, HomeMint cofounder Justin Timberlake)!
With the home's fashion-forward accessories, handsome furnishings, and thoughtful styling, we honed in on five design philosophies from the space that can be applied year-round.
- Channel Coco Chanel: From the graphic striped sofa to the gallery-style wall of framed black-and-white photos, nothing beats the classic color combo. Try accenting it with pops of your favorite brights or layering in neutrals for a cozy, sophisticated vibe.
- Rethink Rugs: Rugs aren't only for floors — create a tapestry feel by hanging a gorgeous kilim or antique find. The best part? Even smaller sizes can create a huge impact for less!
- Embrace Leather Furniture: For instant warmth and an ounce of rugged masculinity, try grounding a room with a vintage chair or sofa. If trolling flea markets for the right piece isn't your deal, then score the look with one of these vintage-inspired chairs that feel just as soulful.
- Decorate With Books: Stacking your most beloved books — from old hardbacks to coffee-table tomes — not only keeps them handy, but also creates visual interest. Try topping them off with your favorite decorative objects for a polished and curated effect.
- Layer Patterns: If you're a pattern-lover, then don't be afraid to mix and match! The secret? Stick to a limited color palette, and combine a variety of small- and large-scale prints.
With the right combination of style and function, getting your dream closet is possible. Keeping the basics (and a few details) in mind, here is a list of 10 things every enviable closet must have. From lighting down to a personal touch, it's these elements that will evoke a leisurely and celebratory idea of dressing that most of us only dream of having. If you're still unsure how it's possible, keep reading! And don't worry — these tips hold true to any closet, no matter the size!
- Own organization: First things first, to get the closet of your dreams, you must get organized. Toss anything that you no longer need, and be sure everything has a place (and remains in that place!). Keep clothes that you wear often in reach, and store seasonal items out of sight.
- Make lighting a priority: Since no one wants to accidentally confuse navy with black, lighting is vital to a closet. It can also be a great way to add personality. Try a vibrant chandelier or a statement lamp.
- Add storage: In closets of any size, storage is important. Instead of choosing plastic bins, consider options with a bit more style like wicker baskets. Since closets have little to no room for furniture, use storage to add color and texture.
- Include a personal touch: If you're a fashion lover, your closet could be the best spot in your house. Although it's a small space, hanging art or adding a few photos will make the space yours and one you'll never want to leave.
- Take a seat: Having a place to lace up those shoes is important! Even if it's a small pouf, it will make getting ready in the morning easier. A small piece of furniture will help your closet look and feel more like a room.
- Mirrors are a must: Having a (full-length) mirror is a must! If you're short on space, trying hanging one on the back of your door or cabinets. Sliding mirrors are also a great way to save space.
- Hang it up: While they seem minor, hangers are important for a streamlined look. Switching out miscellaneous hangers for a matching set will give your closet a sleek, boutique feel. These Platinum Huggable Hangers ($10 each) are similar to the hangers Whitney Port uses in her closet!
- Color code: If you're serious about a truly chic closet, taking the time to color code your clothes will pay off. Not only will it be visually appealing, it will make finding the perfect outfit a breeze.
- Add height: If you don't have a large walk-in closet, go up! Shelves will work wonders, especially for bulky items like shoes and purses.
- Work with what you've got: Last but certainly not least, work with have you have! Even if you don't have Christina Aguilera's closet, you can create a space that is truly you and one that will let your fashionable side shine.
If you're looking for a balmy escape that doesn't require a passport or even a hotel reservation, look no further. Palm Springs, CA, boasts sunshine and plenty of boutique hotels, but the city's chic rental options offer privacy, space, and thoughtful design details at prices that are hard to beat. We've tracked down three dreamy rentals that fit design styles ranging from femme to minimal. Whether you're looking for a glamorous girls' weekend or a couple's getaway, these three are definitely worth bookmarking for Winter!
Style Profile: Girlishly Whimsical
Though the surrounding rock wall offers plenty of seclusion, this chic pad is just a few minutes away from some of Palm Springs' prime shopping and dining destinations. Between the designer-worthy interiors and the retro-fabulous outdoors, it might be hard to choose a favorite spot. The backyard's saline pool, jacuzzi, outdoor shower, and hammock offer an ideal spot to relax or play a game of table tennis amid the gorgeous rock garden.
Keep reading to see more Palm Springs rentals you won't want to miss!
We're ready to face Winter — in the comfort of our homes, that is. Whether your idea of keeping cozy includes festive decorating or finding the perfect travel mug for sipping hot cocoa on the go, we've got just the thing! Keep reading to discover the chic home finds we're adding to our holiday wish list.
Even though some of her clientele includes celebrities with extravagant wardrobes, LA Closet Design CEO and designer Lisa Adams believes that any closet should be a natural extension of the home. "The closet is where we most often spend the first and last moments of a day, and unfortunately, at those times many of us deal with universal closet issues like cluttered, overstuffed, and unorganized spaces. Instead, I look at both your room — and your life — and then I create a space of peace, beauty, and even glamour," says Lisa. Placing equal weight on function and aesthetics, Lisa's designs cleverly combine efficiency while encouraging a sort of leisurely, celebratory dressing ritual most of us only dream of having. Keep reading to see some of LA Closet Design's covet-worthy closets and tips for replicating the look.
If gift giving has you stumped — especially for the friend who seems to have it all — you're in luck! We've found some of the best design-savvy gifts that won't bend your budget. Whether it be a sleek vase or a gilded datebook, these picks will satiate anyone with an appetite for design!
Summer and beaches are inextricably linked, so it makes sense that we can't get enough of gorgeous beach resorts and hotels this July. We reached out to our editors to find out where they love to stay when they're headed to a seaside locale, and found some of the best beach resorts around the world that are now firmly on our bucket list. If you don't see your favorite location amongst our selections from Tunisia, Thailand, Tulum, and other international destinations, be sure to add it in the comments. We'll be updating this post with dozens more must-stay-at beach hotels before the Summer ends!
If you'd choose an evening of stargazing on a secluded beach over a hazy night of tequila guzzling, allow us to spill the beans on one of Baja's best kept secrets, Rancho Pescadero.
Forget the all-inclusive megaresorts, this boutique hotel, located just outside of Todos Santos, Mexico, offers a different route to self-indulgence. Daily yoga classes and bike and surf board use are on the house; the hotel's private, two-mile stretch of beach is usually empty (yup, no time-share peddlers); in-suite televisions are nonexistent; and the locavore-inspired menu takes advantage of whatever is fresh from the hotel's garden or surrounding seawater.
Still, Rancho Pescadero's slightly crunchy, feel-good mantra doesn't infringe on comfort or style. Founder and owner Lisa Harper melded her success in the corporate fashion industry with her penchant for flipping houses to create the hotel's earthy yet elegant aesthetic.
In the suites, mosquito-netted canopies, glass doors that slide into the walls, and thatch-roof terraces, provide stylish havens for relaxation.
Depending on the suite you book, you can enjoy surprise perks like private rooftop decks, jetted tubs under Mexican chandeliers, or full gourmet kitchens.
Keep reading to see Rancho Pescadero's most magical spots!