Finland's funkiest prints are ready for the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5. The bold patterns and bright florals of Marimekko are available in new styles for Apple's smartphone, which is due for an upgrade next month. In the gallery, take a look at the '60s-inspired kaivo, the beautiful blooms of unikko, and the community garden of siirtolapuutarha, which have been updated and added to the Marimekko for iPhone line.
Finnish design company Marimekko has a history that dates back to 1951, but the brand's signature textiles and iconic prints manage to stay current more than 60 years later. Offering everything from coats to iPhone cases to bedding, Marimekko's kids apparel and accessories are a sweet spot (we swear, we're not biased . . . ) in a wide range of clothing, accessories, and household essentials. Click through to see 10 of our favorite bright, bold back-to-school finds for little ones.
All the news bits fit to print here, in our daily roundup.
- Andrej Pejic covers Elle Serbia's January issue. It's his first time gracing a mainstream glossy. [WWD]
- Lady Mary Crawley's wedding dress ensemble from last night's season three premiere of Downton Abbey included a 45-carat floral diamond tiara valued at $200,000. [Glamour]
- Milly is set to design a Hamptons-inspired collection for Banana Republic. The collection will be available in stores and online in May. [Racked]
- Simone Rocha, Michael Van Der Ham, and Richard Nicoll top Net-a-Porter Fashion Director Holli Roger's list of London-based designers to watch. [Telegraph]
- Marimekko's signature prints will adorn bottles of Aesop body balm for a limited-time collaboration, available this April. [British Beauty Blogger]
- Heidi Klum would like to be able to read people's minds. [Marie Claire]
- A custom Prada shoe from Tilda Swinton and a golden arrow brooch designed by Kim Jones for Louis Vuitton are among the items available in Friday's Re/Create New York auction to benefit New York Cares. [On the Runway]
- KIA's K7 becomes a street-style star in a recently launched commercial featuring Scott Schuman. [Fashion Copious]
- Jason Wu's contemporary line, Miss Wu, is now available online. [Style.com]
If there's one thing that Marimekko is known for, it's bright colors and bold prints. The beauty this season sought to mimic that legacy, with highlighter makeup hues and structural hair.
The look: Neon eyes, masculine hair, and let's-take-a-breather nude nails.
The inspiration: The history of the brand.
Who would wear it: A Marimekko loyalist . . . or a rave chick at a warehouse party.
Finnish textile, decor, and apparel brand Marimekko created an installation for the DIFFA (Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS) DINING BY DESIGN event in New York. The event unites talent from the realms of fashion, interior design, art, and architecture to create impressive dining environments.The public was invited to view the installations from March 23-25 in conjunction with the Architectural Digest Home Design Show at Pier 94. Marimekko's Color Therapy exhibition will be featured at the Gala Dinner tonight, which will serve as the finale to the five-day-long DINING BY DESIGN celebration. Fittingly titled Color Therapy, Marimekko's tablescape exhibition showcases the exuberant colors and mesmerizing patterns the design house is known for. Inspired by the way bold colors and patterns can seamlessly fit into the everyday lives of people, the Marimekko team used fabric patchwork techniques to pack in a dizzying assortment of beautiful textiles.
Click below to shop an assortment of Marimekko products for your home!
I don't need to tell you how big of a statement your shoes can make — and since Spring is all about getting outside and strolling the streets, you're going to need a stylish pair of sneakers to brighten up your look while providing ultimate comfort. From classic to colorful to a little bit dressy, we've rounded up the top 10 cool kicks you need for the new season.
Lovers of Marimekko have reason to cheer. In just a few short months, there will be three new, easier than ever ways to indulge in the Finnish company's fantastic textiles. Read on for the details!
- Marimekko is opening 22 shop-in-shops in Crate and Barrel Stores in the US and Canada. Chicago, LA, San Francisco, and New York residents can enjoy shopping at the first four stores this Spring. New York's Soho Crate and Barrel also opened a Marimekko shop in October of last year.
- Marimekko is opening a flagship store this Fall on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. Just like its flagship Helsinki store, this shop will be designed by Japanese architectural firm IMA in collaboration with Marimekko's designers.
- The company's goods will also be available internationally through revamped ecommerce sites. Look for the first online shop to open in the US by this Summer. (I'll share details, of course!)
Explaining the new stores and ecommerce sites, Marimekko President and CEO Mika Ihamuotila explained, "It is crucially important for us to be able to introduce our customers to the whole world of Marimekko in our own way. The new flagship store is also meant to support our online shop, which will be opened in the US this year, and our extensive cooperation with Crate and Barrel."
If you're a fan of Finnish textile company Marimekko, good news: soon it will be even easier to purchase its designs. In the next three years, Crate and Barrel and Marimekko will collaborate to roll out over 20 shop-in-shops in Crate and Barrel Stores in the US and Canada.The first stores will open this Spring. Locations include Madison Avenue in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Marimekko's online presence will also be extended through an ecommerce shop within Crate and Barrel's website.
Marimekko President and CEO Mika Ihamuotila noted, "The new contract with our long-time partner Crate and Barrel is a truly significant step for Marimekko. Crate and Barrel's stores are in the best locations in their cities and they are very well-known and successful, so in them Marimekko will have excellent opportunities to reach new audiences interested in original design."
Take a look at some of Crate and Barrel's current selections below.
Finnish design house Marimekko announced plans last week to expand its brand in the US market. The company will open a new showroom in Manhattan this month, and distribute more of its products to high-end department and specialty stores. Marimekko also has big plans to strengthen its 43-year-old relationship with Crate and Barrel. Come Oct. 14, a 1,775-square-foot Marimekko boutique will open inside Crate and Barrel's Soho, NY store. The shop-in-shop will sell Marimekko textiles, bedding and bath items, bags, accessories, and some apparel.
Until then, there's still plenty of the brand's delightfully lively products for you US citizens to shop! I've rounded up a few of my favorites above; just click each image to shop! If you're mad for the brand's bold prints, be sure to read my post on how to Marimekko your whole house.
Going for more of a mix over a matchy-matchy look can keep a table setting fresh, but you have to have an eye for juggling pattern and color to pull off the effect. I've been known to mix and match my linens at home. How about you?