The expensive dorm meal plan you're paying for might cover most of your meals, but hunger doesn't schedule itself around study sessions, and sometimes you're just too busy to make a stop at the cafeteria. Whether you're lucky enough to have a fully operational kitchen in your dorm room or you need to spin mealtime gold out of the proverbial straw, we've provided a few ideas on how to stock your pantry to ensure your hunger pangs don't undermine Chaucer or Copernicus.
What to stock if you have no appliances:
- Granola bars
- Crackers and chips
- Beef and turkey jerky
- Apples, bananas, and other fruits that don't require refrigeration
What to stock if you have a compact refrigerator and freezer:
- Cereal and milk
- Yogurt and cottage cheese
- Lettuce and fresh produce for salads
- Baby carrots and veggies for snacking
- Salad dressing
- Sandwich meats
- Mayo, mustard, and other condiments
- Juices, soda, and other beverages
For food ideas if you have a microwave or hot pot, just keep reading.