This isn't your typical Summer reading list — we're shaking it up with coffee table books that tell visual stories of Summer instead of literary tales. Whether you crave a jet-setter's escapist existence or dream about hanging ten in the heydays of surfing, these books will bring it — and then some! Peruse (and pin) our favorite picks for capturing the essence of Summer.
Whether you're dreaming of a beach vacation or are looking to add coastal style to your home this Summer, allow these seaside haunts to serve as inspiration. To celebrate iconic West Coast beach style, we've rounded up a gallery of our favorite inns, rentals, and homes from Washington to Southern California. Keep reading to discover a potential Summer getaway, or steal style notes to achieve the covetable coastal look.
Whether you live in a coastal seaside community or simply enjoy trips to your local aquarium, fish represent the diversity and beauty of all types of bodies of water and, certainly, Summer. We're celebrating the season with a roundup of the most inspiring fish decor on the market. So, whether you're looking for dramatic wall coverings or a token piece of beautiful barware, we have just the pieces you'll need to introduce an aquatic touch to your home.
- Just add flowers. Use oversized vases as focal points both on the mantel and in the fireplace itself. Layer them with your favorite and freshest Summer blooms, from sunflowers to zinnias to dahlias.
- Upgrade your andirons. The horizontal bars used to lay logs, andirons can be a design focal point if you choose carefully. We love these bronze andirons which provide a glow all on their own.
- Think differently about your firewood. Instead of laying out firewood as if you were about to strike a match, try stacking it vertically, horizontally, or in patterns to create something that's more visually interesting. After all, you're not about to light a fire! Make the wood work for you visually instead of producing heat.
- Try adding something unexpected to the grate and hearth. Stack plants in front of the grate, or clean the grate and stack suitcases or books.
- Add a summery fire screen. Create a folding fireplace screen to block the grate. Try wallpapering it with removable wallpaper tiles.
Keep reading for three more ideas to style a Summer fireplace
The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy is not your typical Summer read. The over-the-top fictional romance ends with (spoiler alert!) an extravagant honeymoon to five-star locales in some of the world's most romantic spots: London; Saint-Paul-de-Vence, France; and Monte Carlo, to name a few. We're taking you on a whirlwind trip to all of the Greys' honeymoon destinations, showing you what's special about each unique location. We also gathered pieces ranging from contemporary to country to achieve the look of these actual destinations, making your space anything but grey.
When it comes to summertime, we like our home decor just like the season: easy and breezy. That's why we're looking to simple switch-ups (think punchy pillows and nautical knots) that will make a big difference. When you've got a home that's ready for warm-weather entertaining, who needs the beach anyway? Ahead, check out 50 affordable pieces that will have you swinging into Summer stat.
Summer is a great excuse to decorate (not that we need one) and swapping out your art with something that channels the seasonal vibe is an easy option that will have a big impact. No matter your style or location, we found 11 options that will bring beach boho or a nautical touch to your home without going overboard. Click through to find out how!
With the lines blurring between outdoor and indoor decor, now's the time to get creative with your boundaries. By using your outdoor pieces indoors, you can add unique and unexpected style. Even better: shop the pieces at the end of the season, and you can score them on sale! Keep reading to see a dozen of our favorites.
— Additional reporting by Emily Bibb
If filling your yard with flag decor doesn't tickle your fancy, try decorating with Fourth of July-inspired picks that are chic and versatile enough to use all Summer long. These red, white, and blue finds offer a slice of nostalgic Americana with a modern twist — perfect for a patriotic-themed party that puts style first.
- Silicone Ice Cube Tray ($9, originally $10): Get into the spirit with these star-spangled ice cubes.
- Rectangular Umbrella ($199, originally $229): Bold stripes and a square shape make for extra stylish shading.
- Starlight Citronella Candle ($24): The best way to keep bugs at bay while adding to your yard's ambience.
- Red Soda Storage Crate ($25): Use this nostalgic crate to stock heavier bottles in your outdoor bar.
- Ikat Dot Napkin Set ($16, originally $20): It's part exotic, part classic — we can't get enough of this chic hybrid print.
- Blue Pandan Tray ($20): Carry lighter items, like small snack bowls and condiments, on this island-inspired tray.
- Swansea Beach Radio ($40): Plug in your iPod or cell phone for a cute and compact way to play your favorite Summer jams outdoors.
- IKEA PS Svinga Hanging Seat ($70): Tie this to a tree or hang it from an outdoor trellis for a swinging good time.
- Stripe Woven Swoon Outdoor Pouf ($36, originally $90): Kick up your feet or avoid sitting on the ground with this striped beauty.
If your patio has fallen victim to June gloom, then it might be time for an update. You can easily update your backyard for under $100, no green thumb or new paint required! Effortless additions like a bright bistro set and vibrant pillows will make your outdoor space an extension of your home and ready for endless entertaining. As for you city dwellers — sans patio — check out these budget-friendly updates for your home's bathroom and kitchen!