James Lohan, who, along with his wife, authors the Mr & Mrs Smith boutique and luxury hotel guides, knows his way around a hotel room. So it's no surprise that LivingEtc recently asked him to share some tips with readers on the topic. His mission? To help ordinary citizens like you and me create a boutique hotel feeling in our own bedrooms.
To get his tips, read more.
Here are Lohan's tips:
- Mix it up. Use different patterns in complementary colors, play with scale, or contrast masculine and feminine by upholstering a pretty chair in some masculine tailoring stripes.
- Add vibrancy to all-white rooms with accent colors. Introducing a simple throw, colorful cushions or a piece of painted furniture is an easy way to lift neutrals and add character.
- Go for glamour. Dark color schemes create a sensual atmosphere and tactile fabrics intensify the luxurious feel.
- Indulge in some "gilty" pleasures. Gilt frames have real impact, or try other metallic touches such as Tom Dixon's Copper Shade lights or Osborne & Little's metallic wallpapers.
- If space permits, bring your bath into the bedroom or replace a wall with a window so that the bedroom looks into the en suite. Baths in stone, brass, or even wood make a real statement.
- Create a sense of individuality by adding personal treasures, finds from your travels, or artwork to create a focus.