While this project was identified by Martha: The Martha Stewart Show as a DIY for baby blocks, I think they'd make a cool addition to a very grown up bookshelf or fireplace mantel. You can coordinate the images and paper you select for the greatest decorative impact.
What You'll Need
- 3 1/4-inch square wood block
- Acrylic paint
- Mod Podge
- Decorative paper
- Emery board
- Letters, numbers, and embellishments
To find out how to make it, according to Martha, read more.
- Sand the wooden block with sandpaper to prepare it for painting.
- Paint the block with the color you've selected. Allow to dry.
- Cut 6 pieces of decorative paper to 3 1/4 inch.
- Glue the paper to each side of the block using all-purpose Mod Podge. Allow the glue to dry.
- Sand edges and corners of paper with an emery board.
- Paste the letters, numbers, and embellishments to the block using the same technique.
- Sponge the edges of the paper with paint to give it texture and an antique look.
- Paint another coat of Mod Podge all over the block to seal. Allow to dry.
Need a little more help? There's also a helpful video you can check out.