After a series of failed baking adventures I realized it was time for me to transfer my love for YumSugar and food magazines to CasaSugar and design magazines. In the spirit of the holidays I picked a Light Bright project from this month's Blueprint magazine. I must admit, I'm a much better painter and craftswoman than I am a baker so the project was definitely a confidence booster. The Blueprint picture is on the left, my replica is on the right.
What You'll Need
- stretched canvas
- groundcloth or newspapers to protect your floor
- white twinkly tree lights
- craft glue
You can find the complete Blueprint directions here. But read on for Angelica's directions:
- Start by painting a stretched canvas from an art-supply store (Blueprint used a pale-pink latex paint, I picked a light-gold color because the walls of my house are all beige.)
- Plot out your design by penciling dots on the back, keeping them a half inch apart.
- Gently press an awl through each dot to make a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the bulb (the Blueprint creators and I both used white Christmas lights).
- Press a bulb into each hole; secure each with craft glue. (I skipped the glue step just in case any of the lights blow out.)