Yesterday, I attended an intimate event in New York City for Lowes and Valspar Signature Colors paint hosted by none other than superstar designer Nate Berkus. Nate presented about the power of paint and his design inspiration to a handful of design bloggers (including myself), and then we had the chance to test out the paint and even play a few a games. In a few hours, I wound up learning more than I could dream of about Nate Berkus.
Here are eight little-known facts about him:
- Nate doesn't consider himself an "outdoorsy" man but did once go snorkeling in Thailand at the islands made famous by the 2000 Leonardo DiCaprio flick The Beach — but only after being coerced by his boyfriend, who'd told him the only alternative would be to "stick his head under the water."
- Nate says you can't go wrong with any color in your home; the trick is what colors you pair them with. But there's one type of color he personally won't use: "I have an issue with skin-tone colors . . . like the color of me, I'm not really into that."
- Nate will be a guest judge on Design Star this season!
Continue reading for more little-known facts!
- He's in the middle of renovating an apartment in New York City — that's after moving on from his Gold Coast Chicago home.
- Nate is having powdercoated metal doors custom made for his new apartment.
- Nate's favorite neutral color is gray, which he says makes a great foundation for "deep and vibrant colors," and he likes to pair with black, pops of yellow, and white trim.
- His personal favorite color to decorate with is green, a color which represents balance, harmony, and growth.
- Nate is a Virgo! His birthday is Sept. 17.