Twitter user DefDulce asked me a question which, judging from current trends, I think is on a lot of young decorators' minds: "How can you turn an ordinary apartment into an old Hollywood starlet pad?"
Without seeing her apartment, I can't offer specific, tailored changes or updates. So I thought I'd respond by offering a few key elements essential to any old Hollywood home. Choosing just a few of them will give your home that overtone of glitz and glamour so evocative of Old Hollywood style.
- Lacquer your furniture! And if you can't afford to, high gloss paint will do.
- Choose rich materials like silk and velvet for drapery and tablecloths.
- Bring in luxe details: crystals on chandeliers, fringe on lampshades, gilt accessories.
See more of these.
- Add glossy Chinoiserie-style/bamboo pieces — chandeliers, tables, chairs.
- Buy mirrored, Lucite/acrylic, and tufted furniture.
- Have no shortage of ornate mirrors on your walls.
- Arrange your seating for conversation. Old Hollywood was all about entertaining!
- Bring in latticework anywhere, be it on textiles, wall art, or a wood floor screen.
- If you can invest in furniture, buy something by William Haines or Dorothy Draper.
- Create a palette that's based in champagne, soft peach, rich browns, and metallics.
Source: Flickr User CocoKelley