I was wondering if you had any tips on keeping white/cream/light-colored bedding clean. We bought some awesome sheets that were blue and cream striped, but the colors really got dingy-looking. That turned us off from buying any light bedding again, which is a shame, because I almost always love bedding with lighter colors in it!
Thanks in advance!
To see my advice for amloveaffair, read more.
As someone who has a pretty white coverlet for her bed, and a dog who's jumped on it with muddy paws, I can sympathize with your situation. My first piece of advice, as far as light-colored bedding is concerned, is to buy quality bedding with a high thread count. This will eliminate a lot of pilling that happens with lower-quality linens and will guarantee that they stand the test of time.
In addition, try these tips for keeping lighter-colored bedding bright and beautiful:
- Wash your white sheets on a weekly basis. They should be washed separately in warm or hot water. Use regular detergent, but don't overload it.
- If you get dirt, blood, or any other stain on your sheets, spot treat the stain immediately so it won't set in. Find out how to get out bloodstains here.
- Only bleach your sheets when absolutely necessary, as bleach will damage the fabric. Try my bleach alternative.
- If you add 1/4 cup of lemon juice to your sheets, it will brighten the white. So will sunlight, which is a good reason to line dry your clothes.
- If you're out of lemon juice, white vinegar can be added to your wash cycle.
- Rotate your sheets with other sets. This can help extend your sheets' lifespan for many years.
- Store your sheets and other linens in a dry closet. Don't stack them too closely, since linens will store better if they have some circulation.
Hope this helps!