Rather than hiding extra clothes and accessories in boxes or drawers, why not opt for exposed storage that transforms into decor? You don't need to sacrifice style for function. Check out these eight great ways to turn your storage into design, from storage for shoes to dishes to linens.
In honor of Valentine's Day, we've rounded up 10 red, pink, and white pieces of furniture to test your decor-discerning skills. Choose wisely to determine whether they are new or old.
It's the perfect time of the year to go pastel pink. Don't let your Valentine's Day party decorations or front door have all the fun — embellish your tabletop with some inspired pink pieces as well.
For a subtle blush of pink, start with the Rosanna Classique Glass in Pink ($55 for a set of 4, top row, left). Created from vintage molds from the early 20th century, they'd be perfect for showcasing a Valentine's Day punch for a stay-at-home romantic dinner.
Add a soft glow to your table with the Floral Hurricane Candleholder ($5, middle row, left). Don't have time to grab a bouquet for your table? The frosted floral detailing on this candleholder can serve as a stand-in for fresh blooms.
For a romantic country touch, set the table with these Azalea Spring Toile Napkins ($5 each, bottom row, left). Perfectly pretty, these floral toile napkins are machine washable, so you can use them for everyday as well as special occasions.
To shop the rest of these pink pieces, just click on each image!
If you were to stop and go through the quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies weighing down your purse or cluttering up your car cup holder, how much do you think you'd collect? $10? $25? Well, according to the experts at Coinstar, the average amount cashed in for eCertificates and/or gift cards at their coin kiosks is a whopping $56 — twice as much as people think they have. Talk about a nice, unexpected chunk of change as we head into the holiday season (especially since so many of us go over budget on holiday shopping!).
Our advice to you: make every coin count! Take a few minutes to grab all the spare change "jingle-belling" in your purses, pockets, car, and desk drawers, then hit your local Coinstar kiosk, where you can turn the contents of your coin jar into cash or no-fee eCertificates from popular brands, including Amazon, iTunes, Gap, and Starbucks. Click here to find the Coinstar kiosk closest to you.
Now that you know there might be more change lying around than you think, what would you do with those extra pennies this holiday?
It started off with a whale – actually with an image of a particular whale that appeared on Dolan Geiman's NYIGF booth announcement. After eagerly clicking to his Etsy site and flipping through the first couple of pages, I became hooked. Dolan's work includes paintings, collages, constructions, and limited-edition reproductions. Using a curious assortment of discarded finds, items found in nature, and household objects, he creates pieces that feel utterly modern yet reflective of his country roots. Aside from running an Etsy shop and participating in nationwide art fairs, Dolan works with international retailers, interior designers, art consultants, and hotel developers, to wholesale his work, create window displays and commissioned pieces. Keep reading to check out a handful of my favorite pieces from his collections!
Red-carpet fashion and beauty coverage:
- Video: Angelina Jolie leads the black and white beauties at the SAG Awards!
- Designer rundown: find out who wore what
- Poll: who was the best dressed at the SAG Awards?
- Trend report: rainbow bright hues, chic whites, and daring dark gowns
- Re-create your favorite SAG Awards hair and makeup looks!
- Learn the drugstore secret to Sofia Vergara's perfect pout
Catch up on other fun moments you may have missed:
- Octavia, Betty, Jean, and more — see the entire list of SAG Award winners!
- Buzz in: do you agree with the SAG Award winners?
- George, Alec, Kevin, and Brad — SAG hotties then and now
- See all the loved-up couples on the red carpet
- Video: is Uggie the dog taking a page from Brad Pitt's playbook?
- Our favorite candid photos inside the SAG Awards
- See the touching speeches, A-list presenters, and star-studded SAG audience
- Brad and Angelina cuddle and laugh — see their cutest SAG PDA moments!
- 350+ pictures from the red carpet, show, press room, parties, and much more!
- Guess the celebrity body at the SAG Awards!
- Take a cue from Viola Davis's gorgeous gown for your home decor
- Video: watch our SAG Awards breakdown — the night's best fashion, the biggest winners, and drinking games!
I love a great conceptual pop-up shop, and David Stark and interior designer Nina Freudenberger are collaborating on a really fun one for February with WOOD SHOP. From Feb. 3-27, Stark will transform Freudenberger's Haus Interior in New York City into a concept shop, WOOD SHOP. Featuring a limited-edition David Stark Design product line, everything at WOOD SHOP will also be available online through the Haus Interior website. Including everything from cards to home decor to adorable Valentine's Day gifts, you can find something within your budget, with prices ranging from $5 to $500.
I recently interviewed both David and Nina about the collaboration. Keep reading for a look at the pop-up shop's goods and to hear what each has to say about WOOD SHOP.
- These rooms are gorgeous, and so are the views.
- These rooms are gorgeous, and so are the views. — California Home + Design
- Which of these 10 pink Valentine's Day gifts is your favorite? — House Beautiful
- Update your decor with these easy paint projects. — Real Simple
- Take a peek at the SF home from Just Like Heaven — Hooked on Houses
- Visit the oldest treehouse in the world. — Garden Design
- Why is Kelly Wearstler having a hard time selling her home? — Stylelist Home
- Tour a contemporary condo codesigned with nature. — Houzz
Last night, Viola Davis glowed at the 18th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards. Decked out in a white Marchesa gown with a metallic embroidered bodice, the color read more brass than gold, especially when compared to the color in her gold bracelet. I love the contrast between the milky dress and the metallic accents and set out to find some home decorating pieces that embraced a similar color scheme.
I'm a major fan of brass lamps, so it makes sense that three of the items I've chosen are types of lighting. Start with your overhead illumination needs with the infinitely affordable Brass Tiered Pendant Shade ($64). Made from a material mix of plastic, brass, copper, and glass, it's an inexpensive way to get in on the brass trend.
My favorite lighting choice, however, is the Hammered Brass Sconce ($165) from Serena & Lily. A concave, hand-hammered brass oval shape reflects light and will cast a warm glow throughout your room. I'm tempted to switch out my bedroom sconces with a pair of these brass sconces — they'd add such ambiance!
The ladylike curves of the Ethan Allen Hepburn Sofa ($2,200) would work perfectly with a classic, feminine decorating scheme. The sofa is a beautiful piece, from its modern straight tapered leg to its rolled arms and sleek camelback.
Shop the rest of the brass and ivory selections by clicking on each image.
A painted floor can change the entire mood of a room by adding color and character to the space. Solid white painted floors look clean and crisp, but bold shades and patterns add an extra dash of personality. Stripes, stencils, and strategic stain applications are just a few of the possibilities — click through the slideshow for 10 of our favorite painted floor designs!