It started off with a whale – actually with an image of a particular whale that appeared on Dolan Geiman's NYIGF booth announcement. After eagerly clicking to his Etsy site and flipping through the first couple of pages, I became hooked. Dolan's work includes paintings, collages, constructions, and limited-edition reproductions. Using a curious assortment of discarded finds, items found in nature, and household objects, he creates pieces that feel utterly modern yet reflective of his country roots. Aside from running an Etsy shop and participating in nationwide art fairs, Dolan works with international retailers, interior designers, art consultants, and hotel developers, to wholesale his work, create window displays and commissioned pieces. Keep reading to check out a handful of my favorite pieces from his collections!
Red-carpet fashion and beauty coverage:
- Video: Angelina Jolie leads the black and white beauties at the SAG Awards!
- Designer rundown: find out who wore what
- Poll: who was the best dressed at the SAG Awards?
- Trend report: rainbow bright hues, chic whites, and daring dark gowns
- Re-create your favorite SAG Awards hair and makeup looks!
- Learn the drugstore secret to Sofia Vergara's perfect pout
Catch up on other fun moments you may have missed:
- Octavia, Betty, Jean, and more — see the entire list of SAG Award winners!
- Buzz in: do you agree with the SAG Award winners?
- George, Alec, Kevin, and Brad — SAG hotties then and now
- See all the loved-up couples on the red carpet
- Video: is Uggie the dog taking a page from Brad Pitt's playbook?
- Our favorite candid photos inside the SAG Awards
- See the touching speeches, A-list presenters, and star-studded SAG audience
- Brad and Angelina cuddle and laugh — see their cutest SAG PDA moments!
- 350+ pictures from the red carpet, show, press room, parties, and much more!
- Guess the celebrity body at the SAG Awards!
- Take a cue from Viola Davis's gorgeous gown for your home decor
- Video: watch our SAG Awards breakdown — the night's best fashion, the biggest winners, and drinking games!
I love a great conceptual pop-up shop, and David Stark and interior designer Nina Freudenberger are collaborating on a really fun one for February with WOOD SHOP. From Feb. 3-27, Stark will transform Freudenberger's Haus Interior in New York City into a concept shop, WOOD SHOP. Featuring a limited-edition David Stark Design product line, everything at WOOD SHOP will also be available online through the Haus Interior website. Including everything from cards to home decor to adorable Valentine's Day gifts, you can find something within your budget, with prices ranging from $5 to $500.
I recently interviewed both David and Nina about the collaboration. Keep reading for a look at the pop-up shop's goods and to hear what each has to say about WOOD SHOP.
- These rooms are gorgeous, and so are the views.
- These rooms are gorgeous, and so are the views. — California Home + Design
- Which of these 10 pink Valentine's Day gifts is your favorite? — House Beautiful
- Update your decor with these easy paint projects. — Real Simple
- Take a peek at the SF home from Just Like Heaven — Hooked on Houses
- Visit the oldest treehouse in the world. — Garden Design
- Why is Kelly Wearstler having a hard time selling her home? — Stylelist Home
- Tour a contemporary condo codesigned with nature. — Houzz
Last night, Viola Davis glowed at the 18th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards. Decked out in a white Marchesa gown with a metallic embroidered bodice, the color read more brass than gold, especially when compared to the color in her gold bracelet. I love the contrast between the milky dress and the metallic accents and set out to find some home decorating pieces that embraced a similar color scheme.
I'm a major fan of brass lamps, so it makes sense that three of the items I've chosen are types of lighting. Start with your overhead illumination needs with the infinitely affordable Brass Tiered Pendant Shade ($64). Made from a material mix of plastic, brass, copper, and glass, it's an inexpensive way to get in on the brass trend.
My favorite lighting choice, however, is the Hammered Brass Sconce ($165) from Serena & Lily. A concave, hand-hammered brass oval shape reflects light and will cast a warm glow throughout your room. I'm tempted to switch out my bedroom sconces with a pair of these brass sconces — they'd add such ambiance!
The ladylike curves of the Ethan Allen Hepburn Sofa ($2,200) would work perfectly with a classic, feminine decorating scheme. The sofa is a beautiful piece, from its modern straight tapered leg to its rolled arms and sleek camelback.
Shop the rest of the brass and ivory selections by clicking on each image.
A painted floor can change the entire mood of a room by adding color and character to the space. Solid white painted floors look clean and crisp, but bold shades and patterns add an extra dash of personality. Stripes, stencils, and strategic stain applications are just a few of the possibilities — click through the slideshow for 10 of our favorite painted floor designs!
My favorite way to incorporate the vintage-industrial-inspired trend that is everywhere right now is with accordian-style accessories. Their simple, architectural silhouettes are easy to work into all sorts of rooms. I've had my eye on the charming Directoire Iron Table from Zinc Door, but the $620 price tag was setting it out of my league.
Luckily, I've found a replacement that looks just as stylish for an astonishing $60! Keep reading to find out where to snag one before they're gone.
Back in December, I reported on Pantone's new color of the year. Pantone, the global authority on color, helps to determine the color direction for interior design, fashion, cosmetics, and graphic design every year with its choice of color. This year, the color is Tangerine Tango, a vibrant shade that will add energy to any space where it's introduced. I've rounded up 11 different wallpapers that riff on this shade, some keeping it more muted, while others going big and bold. See if you can find a favorite pattern when you keep clicking.
Red-carpet fashion and beauty coverage:
- Who gets your pick for best dressed?
- Sexy slits and cutouts rocked the red carpet
- Vibrant colors were a big trend on the carpet
- Which actress rocked your favorite sexy slit?
- Seems like silver and gray were the colors of the evening!
- Headband braids were all the rage
- Find out who wore what
Catch up on other arrivals fun you may have missed:
- In case you missed it, check out our show from the red carpet!
- It was almost a double date for George and Stacy with Brad and Angelina!
- Aww — look back at the couples of yesterday at the SAG Awards past
- All the hot couples on the SAG red carpet
- Check out all the hotties in their bow ties
- There were lots of talented ladies catching up with their hilarious pals
- Tons more highlights from the show!
The list of all the winners, and more press room fun:
Watch the SAG Awards red carpet here now — the arrivals just ended, but we're showing it all again! The 2012 SAG Awards show is starting, and we're looking forward to an exciting night full of fashion and fun stage moments. We're streaming LIVE from the red carpet as nominees, presenters, and other stars head into the show. We can't wait to see who picks up statues at the big event with Brad Pitt, Kate Winslet, George Clooney, Michelle Williams, and more all up for honors. Catch all of the SAG Awards red-carpet action right here on PopSugar Network RIGHT NOW, and tune into the SAG Awards show at 8 p.m. EST/5 p.m. PST on TNT and TBS. For the latest SAG Awards, make sure to follow PopSugar and SAG Awards on Twitter.